View Single Post
Old 08-18-2009, 10:36 AM   #9
RachelandSadie
No Longer a Member

Default How big is your crate?

Quote:
Originally Posted by aroyale15 View Post
The most i crated was 8 hours but i want to extend it to 10 hours so i don't have to come home early from work to let him out. I feel sorry for the little guy everytime i leave him in for extend periods but he doesn't seem to mind staying in his crate.
i would defin. suggest either an x pen, baby gating him off to the kitchen/bathroom tiled area, or a play pen area...

depends i guess on the crate, our crate is a pet taxi carrier, some i guess are larger than that...you wouldn't want to put him in a pet taxi crate for 8 hours, way too small, but if the crate you use is larger then maybe that's a good one and more like an x pen.

i will tell you that in crate training as house training, you simply can't accomplish this with a "too large" crate. they have to be just enough room to stand up, turn around, lay down...if they are too big the dog will pick a corner to pee in and sleep in the other...and these crates are great for housetraining, but it's a little much to keep a pup in one for 8-10 hours if it's that small, they need a little more space such as an x pen or a room baby gated off from the rest of the house...we use potty pads when we're gone the whole day like that inside the xpen and also have her water, food, and we have a bed, a doorless crate and her toys in there.

that's how i was told to do it and how we use our equip. for our dog.

it works well for us.
RachelandSadie is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!