View Single Post
Old 08-18-2009, 04:39 AM   #2
Mardelin
Mardelin Yorkshire Terriers
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajabj5 View Post
I just recently had a litter of pups. They are now 11 days old. The mother stays with them all the time. She will leave them long enough to use the bathroom but wants right back in with them.

When she is in the crate with them they are always nursing. They don't look like little yorkies they look like shar pais ( I know I didn't spell that right). They have so many fat rolls on their legs. They have trippled in weight since they were born. They have gone from 4-5 oz to 14 oz. But they never stop eating. Any advice? I have been getting the mother to come out away from them but she has a fit if she isn't with them all the time.
Milk only lets down every 2 hours. So, what is happening with your pups is they are satisfying their sucking instincts, using mom (as it should be) for comfort. Mom will enventually begin to wander away from them for longer periods of time. Usually about the 3rd week. Just let her do her own thing, or you can stress her out, which may lead to her not producing enough milk.

It's great that your babies are gaining nicely. Most others are fretting that their moms don't stay in the whelping box long enough. She's a good mom.

I think they look like Rottwielers when they're born.
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!