Thread: Is it costly?
View Single Post
Old 08-17-2009, 03:07 PM   #3
topknot
Donating YT 2000 Club Member

For AKC confirmation showing: You have to wait till your pup is 6 months to enter their first show. I usually show pups myself to give them experience and take them to handling class.

Once they are mature and ready I place them with a handler.
With a handler it has cost me from beginning to championship around 2,000 to 2,500 per dog for just entry fees, handling fees, grooming, travel, and boarding, etc... But remember not all dogs finish and a few can finish very quickly, like my Gi - she finished in 3 weekends of showing. So it all depends on your dog's quality, their competition, are they ready with conditioned (coat), and are they trained and can walk on a lead and do well on the table. Also their personality plays a lot into winning. Judges like the outgoing personalities.

I have tried to keep up with all cost of showing, not including grooming table, tack box, brushes, bows, leads, etc... I also have my dogs get a complete vet check, teeth cleaning, and full blood panel/bile acid tests done before they go off with my handler.

I hope this gives you some idea. Right now it is a bit higher due to majors breaking. You go and then not all the dogs show up that were entered.

I show myself some too, but hard due to my work schedule and demands. If you show yourself you can kinda budget and pick your shows.

It is a lot of fun and I have met some really nice people and became friends - lifetime friends!

Last edited by topknot; 08-17-2009 at 03:12 PM.
topknot is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!