View Single Post
Old 08-17-2009, 11:38 AM   #535
littlepixie12
YT Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by abbie's mom View Post
Yes, it does look (and feel) nasty . I've been feeding this way for almost five years, and I still don't look forward to handling it! But, you won't be sorry, in the long run.??..why do you think Cody is allergic to chicken, lamb and turkey? Just wondering, because most dogs tolerate chicken best when first starting out. And, as lara points out: buffalo and venison bones are far too dense for any dog, and may damage teeth. Sounds like you've been 'researching' in the BARF section . Dogs do not need veggies or fruits. Look in your dogs' mouths. What do you see? Canines, right? No grinders for chewing fruits and veggies. Dogs are carnivorous (from dictionary.com: 1. flesh-eating: A dog is a carnivorous animal.). Now, look in your mouth: mostly grinders (chewing fruits & veggies) and a few canines (for ripping and tearing meat). We are omnivorous (An organism that eats both plants and animals.) Free feeding Raw is not a good idea. Especially at first, you need to see what kind of eater Cali is (gulper or careful). I would feed her three smaller meals/day, and if that's not possible, then feed two. I feed a RAW Prey Model diet. We don't hunt, nor do we know anyone who hunts regularly, so my choices are limited to store meats: chicken, beef, (sometimes) turkey, pork, fish. But, this year, I think (hoping!) we will get some venison - especially the heart and liver! The prey model diet is based on what a wolf would normally eat in the wild. It is important to include innards of whatever meat you feed. I feed innards twice weekly, with chicken feet. The only supplement: fish oil. LOL....everyone who feeds a prey model RAW diet exclaims how wonderful their dogs' teeth are! The vets can't get over my dogs' teeth. Abigail will be two next month, and Mozart (in his 13thy/o mix) ~ I never brush their teeth, and they have sweet smelling breathe. I've had a few dogs lick me, and I felt like I needed a bathe!

Here are some links I hope you find helpful:

- Feeding Your Dog

- Jane Anderson's RAW Learning Site

- RAW Feeding (might want to look into the Recipes on this one )

- RAW fed

Questions: ask away!!
Thank you so much for this.. the info has been great. So I dont have to cook anything? Just give them everything raw? Is that okay for puppies? Is it okay if I decide to cook the meat?
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!