View Single Post
Old 08-16-2009, 09:59 AM   #4
JKTex
Yorkie Yakker

I agree with Quicksilver!

These little guys need to go often as they can't hold much so being vigilant about getting them outside (if that's where they're going to be trained to go) very often is key. As a young puppy, that also means during the night until they can start holding it longer which you'll be able to see.

I'd say 5-6 months if you're on top of it and they're pretty much done; not 100% maybe, but really close. They'll have accidents (which is human language for "we screwed up" ) When a puppy goes in the house and isn't supposed to, fault is with people, not the puppy.

I used specific words and still do. When it's tome to go outside, I repeat a few times, that it's time to go "potty outside". When they went in the house, pee or poop, I'd smack the floor near it, to get their attention, and say "no potty inside". I'd soak up as much pee as I could on a tissue or pick up the poop, and we'd go "outside to potty". I'd lay the tissue on the grass where it was OK to go, or the poop, and make sure they came and smelled it then praised them for "potty outside". I had a treat for them as aften as I could remember to bring one. We tried to keep the treat by the back door.

Oh, and when they were young, we made sure to take food up by 7-8 PM so they had an hour or 2 to empty out and be ready for bed. Otherwise we'd have a hour or so hoping we could get them to go.

Now, at night when it's time to go to bed, I just tell them it's time to "go potty outside" and they take off for the doggy door (or stand by the big door when they want to make sure I go with them ) and we go out and they do their thing. The 9 month old I'll still need to repeat "go potty" several times sometimes because she'll get distracted barking at a toad or chasing bugs.

You'll think you've made great progress then they'll poop or pee and you'll feel like you're starting over, but you're not. Just continue with the regiment and they'll be done before you know it. Our male doesn't even mark in the house. Both would tuck their ears if they went in the house and I called them to it. They know, but I still told them "no potty in the house" and took them outside. No punishment, just the attention getting "smack" on the floor and a stern "no potty in the house", but I think it's important to get them outside, show them where it goes and praise them like nobody's business. Once you're there, you'll be proud.

These little guys are smart as can be, and if you're like me, you'll realize it's "us" humans that will hold them back when training on anything.

Last edited by JKTex; 08-16-2009 at 10:02 AM.
JKTex is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!