View Single Post
Old 08-15-2009, 10:57 AM   #11
Nancy1999
I ♥ Joey & Ralphie!
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by neenahlawncare View Post
I dont i just wanted to understand the whole thing. I thing mixxing dogs is wrong. I want to breed but i want to do it right and my wife i am sure would make me keep all the dogs..LOL.. I was looking at a few yorkies and 2 are AKC reg. and 1 is CKC and 1 is both, AKC and CKC? like i said i know nothing about the reg. part. I just wanted to know if i bought a AKC female but then only a CKC male if they could be reg. AKC? I really dont care but i want a good healthy breed and every one that sells these seem to think that they can get any amount of money so long as they come with some sort of papers.

What are breeding rights? I understand that if i buy a pet i have the choice of getting papers or not but what are breeding rights.
Breeding rights means that not only is your dog listed with the AKC, but any offspring it produces will be eligible, as well. I bought Joey with no breeding rights. Most good breeders understand that the majority of dogs produced should not be bred, only the ones that are the best examples of the breed and have been thoroughly health tested for genetic problems. This is not the same as the health test the typical vet will give where he's just checking reproductive organs, and say, "yeah, you can breed her." Someone else can tell you all the tests required, before breeding. If a person is serious about breeding, they will look for a breeder who is willing to mentor them because there are many problems associated with breeding domesticated animals. The smaller breeds often need even more help, and sometimes even with mating, and always with delivery. If you don't know what you are doing, it's very easy to lose mother and pups. Don't look at breeding as a money making opportunity either, good breeders have a hard time breaking even, and even bad breeders and puppy mills who skimp on required care are having a hard time in the current economy. Puppies are a real bargain now, but remember, vet care is still very costly.

Here's a link that explains the differences between registries. http://moosewood.tripod.com/registries.html, also remember that are 2 CKC's one is legitmate, and one is not. The one in this country is not.

Last edited by Nancy1999; 08-15-2009 at 11:02 AM.
Nancy1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!