View Single Post
Old 08-15-2009, 10:33 AM   #9
Nancy1999
I ♥ Joey & Ralphie!
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamrocks View Post
From my understanding AKC is to register the pure breed pups of the same breed as mom and dad. I think that I read something about AKC reg mixed dogs but I dont think it was to show them. Are you looking for a yorkie mix puppy?
You are correct, AKC only registers dogs whose parents were registered and the owner must have breeding rights, no mixed breeds are accepted. Mix breeds can be placed on a "list", but this is not the same as a registration list. The list benefits those owners who want to participate in other activities such as agility. Dogs on this list must be neutered.

The CKC will pretty much register any dog, and duel registration means nothing good. AKC has been tougher on breeders because many states are passing stricter legislation, and AKC can enforce state legislation requirements. When these breeders are suspended from the AKC, they turn to the alternative registries, which have no real requirements, and because most people are unaware of the differences, they think the word "registered" means something of value. Also, many people have bought AKC dogs with no breeding rights, but go ahead and breed them anyway, and they are not eligible for the AKC, so a breeder will list him with one of the other registries, and often call it duel registration, but his or her pups are not allowed on the AKC list because they had no breeding rights. I believe a breeder who has done this is unethical, and would not wish to support someone like this. Also, the alternative registries have no restriction on breeding, so every dog sold through them comes with breeding rights, and as you are probably aware, not every dog should be bred, this is very bad for the breed.

Join today and remove this ad!