View Single Post
Old 08-15-2009, 12:22 AM   #3
YorkieMother
YT 1000 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love_Capone View Post
YT, I need your help. My big/little man (10lbs and 10 mos) won't stop jumping on people or dogs when he's excited to see them. I know it's normal for dogs, but I want him to stop, mainly because it's bothering my roommate. She has a lab and whenever he comes in the house Capone jumps all over his head to play and runs and jumps on her leg too when she comes home. I know he's small but it's still annoying. What can I do? I've tried ignoring him when I come in, but it's not really working. Maybe I'm being impatient or not consistent enough (I'm excited to see him to when I come home).

I also need help with teaching him tricks and other commands. He knows sit, come, get your toy (his favorite) and sometimes stay, but I think he just does different things to see which one will get him the treat without understanding what I'm saying. Please help me yorkietalkers.
You said it your self you are not consistent enough and to impatient.
So two things are happening. 1 you are making that which you want to change harder to change as you are ranbomly reinforcing the thing you do not. Making it harder to stop.
2. You are not following through so he jumps you ignore he jumps you ingore, he jumps you act... next time he jumps, he jumps he jumps he jumps then you reward what you do not want so he knows if he keeps going you will give in. Join the rest of us that do. Way to go you are a human.

No sorry not poking fun just pointing out you are normal and so do nt beat on your self.
So now what.... welll rather then reward it when you get home nad want to play and so does he..get down on the floor fas so he is not jumping. Sit calm and he will be spinning but stay calm. I put my hands out so mine can rub and snuggle and I can make contact but I just sitting waiting. one second pause or abreat hrewad that and let him and you play and inter act.
What you wantto do is build that one second into more seconds but just with you. I understand when you come home that you want to loveon him and normal dog trainers say ignore and go about your comong hime till he settles. Do tha with my girl and she is out of her mind. Just makeing that hand avalible to rub or two seems to ehlp. May work for your.

As for the other try teach foor on the floor and get it on rendom reinforcement. Or toss atoy every time he goes to jump and send him after it he can not be jumping on other if he getting atoy . Then you can reward four on the floor.

JL
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!