View Single Post
Old 08-14-2009, 05:58 PM   #4
marcerella02
Loved by Layla
Donating Member

You are not alone.

Nothing wrong with holding him down BUT if you are going to do that- you CANNOT let go until he is submissive- could take a while- but if you do let him up before then- he's won- and you are not in charge. Which is really the issue- he is alpha- you are not.

I also suggest anything by Casear Milan- books- shows. The idea is you are in charge and nothing is for free- he must sit and stay for food, treats. You decide when you will play and when you will stop playing- you decide when he gets attention. He should be sleeping in his own bed. Walks are a GREAT way to show you are in charge- he MUST walk next to you- NOT in front of you. This was VERY hard for Layla- she LOVED leading the walk. It took us about 3 weeks to get it down and now she just needs an occasional reminder and falls right back into place. Also- she must sit before I open the door and I go through the door first- then i release her and she can come through. I know this all sounds like a lot of work and it can be but it is SO worth it- Layla is a different dog now. Just start slow- sitting for treats and food and work your way up.
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!