Thread: YOUR free....
View Single Post
Old 08-12-2009, 08:43 AM   #4
RoxyLuv
Donating YT 500 Club Member

Sounds like normal puppyhood. You don't say how old yours is, but we have a babygate at the hallway preventing her from going to the rest of the house. If you want to restrict her without baby gates, you can always shut doors to rooms not being used. Roxy gradually earned privileges. We can now leave the house for a few hours without her being crated. Everything is in tact when we get home. Sigh of relief. We started with just running quick errands & built up to a few hours. She's doing really well now at 9 mo. Huge sigh of relief!!! Soon I will move the babygate further down the hall to give her access to a couple more rooms. Just not going to give her the whole house at once.

In the beginning I stayed strong with 'leave it', 'drop it', 'ah ah', ocassional time-outs, etc. Would sidetrack a lot of unwanted behavior with toys. OMG, it was constant it seemed. However, I have survived the hardest of puppyhood so it's not nearly as much work now. But I'm sure she got some new challenges up her sleeve for us. : )

Have a variety of toys, start teaching some easy sit, down, go for walks, etc & treat/praise a lot will help with boredom. Be creative in starting up some play w/toys, etc. Continue keeping things puppyproofed at all times. Buy new toys as you can, & hide a few old ones for awhile. The floor sniffing will probably continue her whole life. Ya never know when there might be a little tidbit of food. It all takes time. Hang in there! It will get better.
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!