View Single Post
Old 08-12-2009, 08:24 AM   #10
bjh
Donating YT 5000 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mardelin View Post
You're right handlers are expensive and few can afford them. But, if you think about it, it is a cheaper way to go. Entry fees and boarding fees are what get you. However, if you are handling your own dog, you can always split expenses if you're traveling with someone. I know that traveling to NY we've had 6 people plus dogs in a room. It's they only way you can afford it. The plane fare is the least of your expenses. Expenses are split between clients and they are more familiar and well known to the judges. So, they know what judges like what.

I know that since I'm handling a dog (bred by me and co-owned) I don't charge boarding or handling fees, just expenses. But, even at that way it's not cheap.
I would love to make the trip to NY someday. To me a big part of showing is the learning process and meeting nice people. If someone just goes and buys a nice dog, has someone else make it a champion and then sits at home and breeds it, what have they really learned? There is so much more to breeding than just have a champion dog. It takes a great knowledge of the yorkie standard and genetics. That is why it is good to have a mentor or someone knowledgeable about showing and breeding to guide you.
bjh is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!