View Single Post
Old 08-12-2009, 07:11 AM   #7
Mardelin
Mardelin Yorkshire Terriers
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjh View Post
Mary, you are right that professional handlers will do that. I was thinking more of what most show breeders do. Unless money is no factor, I have been told that is it better for the owner to show and get the minor points on the dog and then if you are unable to travel and find the majors then is the best time to put them with a handler. I have just never seen any handlers in our area showing pups in the 6 to 9 month class. I know some will start showing pups when they are a little older. It takes a lot of work just keeping up the coat until they are old enough to show.
Barb,

Since Texas is where I began my journey and I've traveled with a few handlers, one that showed for me in the beginning while I was training, finished her at 16 months of age. Several show dogs at 6 months of age. The reason was for that is training. If you wait too long to take them in the ring, some won't like it. Most of my dogs finish before they're in full coat. Usually before they're a year and half. And most prefer that you don't take them out yourself, because the dog will have to be retrained.
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!