View Single Post
Old 08-10-2009, 03:07 PM   #1
MorkieMomii
Senior Yorkie Talker

Default Does early spaying increase growth?

My little darling is just about 3 ˝ months old. I have been reading about when to have her spayed. I have come across some different opinions so thought I would check them out here. I have read that small dogs mature earlier, they go into their first heat a little sooner and that not allowing them this first heat could actually cause them to grow a little larger. Something about the progesterone triggering the pituitary gland to start the “stop growth hormone”….could be misunderstanding this. Does anybody have any experience with early spaying or late and the difference in growth? We are not going to breed her and I am ok with coping with one heat cycle(I think, not sure what it all entails). I want her to mature properly and I want to keep her as small as possible.

Thanks for any help you may have. This is my first post by the way, hope I did it right. I don’t even have a picture of Eva up yet (have to figure that out still). I know this is a Yorkie site, I did find it by doing a Morkie search though so hope it is ok to have signed up. Look forward to your advice.

Mary
MorkieMomii is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!