View Single Post
Old 03-20-2005, 09:33 PM   #14
Bailey'sMom
Yorkie Talker

Default What's worked for me

I know you originally posted potty training concerns in February, so hopefully you've made some progress already! But am single and work in retail, so I too can relate to the logistics you're facing! A couple things I have found to be true/helpful:
-I bought a puppy park from Walmart and stretch it out to block off the areas I don't want Bailey to get to when I'm not around. (It can be a hexagon, but I make a 17' wall with it to block off the fireplace wall- he likes to chew where the carpet meets the tile sometimes!) It works great! And I close bedroom and bathroom doors
-I use puppy pads so I'm not forcing him to "hold it" for long hours
-My vet told me that they also like privacy, esp. when they poop, so it's helpful to create area that is gives him a sense of privacy, yet is easily accessible
-and I praise a lot, EVERYTIME, I see him potty on the pad with a high pitched, happy/excited voice and say the same phrases and he gets really excited too. I rarely give treats. I say, "Yeah, Bailey, Potty on the Pad" a couple times and he gets all wiggly and I give him kisses too. They like to please you - so sounding silly for a minute goes a long way!
Ok- I'll shut-up now! Hope that helps someone!
-Kelley
Bailey'sMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!