Thread: costs
View Single Post
Old 08-07-2009, 07:16 PM   #11
Ladymom
Donating YT 2000 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tae1107 View Post
Just make sure that you do have money for medical expenses you are not planning on....not just their yearly exams

I just spent $265 today at the vets for one of my dogs because he had been vomiting and was very lethargic... he is tiny...so dehydration is a major concern with him....or should I say with me!

He needed fluids, meds, and blood work..... luckily his brothers who also vomited bounced right back or the vet bill would have been almost triple..

It's important to remember that as dogs age, they get more and more expensive even if they don't have any major health issues. Most need yearly dentals which can run anywhere from $200-$500 depending on your are of the country. After seven, senior work ups with complete blood work, thyroid panels, etc. are necessary every year. They run about $300.

Toy breed dogs are prone to unplanned vet bills. A little snack from the table or a raid on the garbage can can result in pancreatitis - figure about $1,000 plus. A jump off the couch can cause anything from an ACL tear to a broken leg ...surgery runs in the thousands.

The key is to expect the unexpected and set aside money every month in a special account for vet bills. Remember, emergency vets require upfront payment before they will treat your dog no matter how sick they are.

This is a good article to read. I personally think the high end of $38,000 for a 14 year old dog is conservative. Lady is 14 and I have spent way more than that!

The Cost of Owning a Dog
Ladymom is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!