Thread: Weeping eyes
View Single Post
Old 08-05-2009, 01:16 PM   #12
kalina82
Phantom Queen Morrigan
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shell820810 View Post
Toby has very weepy eyes. I have to clean the goo from them a number of times a day, and the hair on his face is always wet.

His hair does poke in them a bit, but the groomer says they are abnormally weepy. His face was wet again before she even finished grooming him.

I asked the vet and they said there is no infection.

Do you have any suggestions. Do some Yorkies just have eyes that water continuously?

I heard it can be their food (Arden Grange puppy) - what exactly is it in the food that might cause it? or teething.......

He is 5 months old and they have always been like this since I got him.
Hi! Like Ann said i have some experience with drippy eyes. Morgan has always had a wet face (which gets smelly) from excessive tear production. I did food trials to see if the food was causing it, I cleaned her face with different products, I put drops or ointments in her eyes...nothing worked. At a year old she was going in to get her teeth cleaned (and some extra teeth pulled) and i had the vet check her tear ducts. I thought they were possibly clogged. The vet couldn't flush them while she was sleeping because he said they were too small. So i figured that was her problem and that was why her face was always wet. From then on i just cleaned her face every day.

A few months ago i wanted her eyes looked at again because her face was smelling worse then usual and i was getting sick of it. So i took her to a vet ophthalmologist. He had all these fancy schmancy tools that the regular vet didn't have. He was able to flush her tear ducts and said they were working and not too small. He checked her pressures and tear production (which turned out to be high...well duh LOL). Then he took out this little eye magnifier thing and looked at her eye lids. He said they ever so slightly rolled inward and there were tiny hairs poking her in the eye. These hairs are so small and in such a spot where they cannot be trimmed. They would have to be frozen with nitrogen to remove them. I opted out of that one. He told me to get lubricant drops to put in her eyes a few times a day so the hairs wouldn't irritate her eyes so much. Its just a problem we will have to live with.

So your puppy could have this problem, but he could also have numerous other things wrong. His tear ducts could be small or clogged. It could be the food as there is whole grain maize (corn) in the arden grange and corn in the other. Personally i'd switch to a grain free food or something at least without wheat or corn. Out of the ones you posted I'd pick Orijen.

Teething can cause tearing too.
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!