View Single Post
Old 08-05-2009, 07:57 AM   #10
T Doll
Mocha's Mommy
Donating Member

I took Mocha to puppy school when he was about 5-6 months old. I personally wasn't satisfied with the classes, but it could've just been the place I went to. The trainer was clearly partial to large breeds and didn't pay any attention to Mocha, who was the smallest. On the very first day, she even thought he was a Shih-tzu! And she would always refer to him as a girl, even though I corrected her every week.

She just didn't seem to like small dogs very much. The class was also full of bigger dogs (Alaskan Malamute, Golden Retriever, etc.). I also think it's where Mocha learned to bark He used to be quiet as a mouse and never barked, but all the dogs in the class would always bark non-stop. He picked it up soon after attending the classes. It's funny that people think of small dogs as yappy and annoying, but Mocha was the ONLY quiet dog there! All the bigger dogs would constantly bark their heads off!

Anyways, I agree with the other poster about observing a class before you make the commitment. Make sure the trainer is aknowledgeable with small breeds and is attentive to them. My trainer always used the bigger dogs when she was showing examples of training techniques. She would also always help the bigger dogs first, and barely spent any time with me and Mocha. Her favourite dog there was the Alaskan Malamute, as she owned several Siberian Husky's herself. 90% of her attention was always on the Malamute. It was very irritating and frustrating to watch her be so biased

Last edited by T Doll; 08-05-2009 at 07:59 AM.
T Doll is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!