View Single Post
Old 08-05-2009, 12:31 AM   #3
DanielleK
Yorkie Yakker

I suggest the book How to Housebreak Your Dog in Seven Days - it is great!

Basically, though, you need to be a little more patient. You need not give in to him so quickly.

You need to continue to take him to his potty spot to poop, no matter how many time it takes. Once you see he needs to go and take him out and he won't go, bring him back in but *crate him*. Wait ten minutes, take him back to the potty spot, and praise and treat him to high heaven if he goes. If not, back into the crate. Repeat until he poops. The first day or two you may spend the entire evening doing this, so you need to be ready to devote the time. Also, don't feel bad or like it's punishment. It is training and once it is done you'll both be happier. You can even put the crate in the living room with you (or wherever you are during the evenings) so that he's not isolated or punished, he's just confined so he won't poop anywhere but where you want him to. Once he does poop, give him the freedom he's normally allowed and lots of praise and attention!! However, his "freedom" should include being watched like a hawk at all times. If you can't keep two eyes on him, then he should go into his kitchen area with his pads or into his crate. Just don't give him the option to make a mistake.

Or, since he avoids pooping outside, you can put him on the potty pads if you don't mind him pooping on them in the house - but you need to do the same tactic. Leash him and put him on the pads so he can't run off and go play. He needs to know it is time to do business. And then crate him in between just like above.

Or you can leash him to you while he's in the house with you and watch him like a hawk. Each and every time you see him ready to have an accident, whisk him out to the potty area and do as above.

It may take days or weeks, but he will get it. But you really do need to stay consistent and not give in.

As for peeing once he comes in even though he's peed outside, I'm not entirely sure. But I do strongly suggest that you clean up any previous accident spots with enzyme cleaner (I'm sure you've already cleaned, but if you can remember his favorite spots it is good to clean with an enzyme cleaner so he can no longer smell his scent and be attracted back to it), pick up any rugs he has a fondness for, and if possible keep him away from his favorite accident spots (don't let him in that room or area if possible). This will go a long way towards breaking the bad habits he's adopting. And I think if you use the above methods to get him to poop, you'll also get him to pee more often outside and hopefully avoid any more pee accidents as well.
DanielleK is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!