View Single Post
Old 08-04-2009, 11:24 PM   #8
FlDebra
Donating YT 2000 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsPeanut View Post
Just an update to you ladies. I am on page three of six and WOW. Doing all this research has opened my eyes to a lot of things.

#1 Our Federal Laws Governing the requirements for "kennels" aka puppymills are very weak and vague, no wonder all these cruel people are getting away with the deplorable conditions they put these beautiful creatures in.
# 2 States Laws aren't any better because not all states have laws protecting dogs or even care that much about it.
There are some good laws in the works that could use support. That might be a topic to broach too. For instance, the Illinois Chloe Bill and the Joint Task Force for Breeders and Pet Stores; and the Federal initiative started last year as H.R. 6949, the Puppy Uniform Protection and Safety Act. It hasn't passed yet that I know of but it will require that all dogs being used in breeding be allowed out of their cage for daily exercise, breeders to get a license from the USDA if they raise more than 50 dogs in a 12-month period and sell directly to the public; and sets forth reasonable standards of care for commercial breeders. It is aimed at putting puppymills out of business.

Hopefully there are other states trying to tighten the rein on these puppymills as well. These are two that I have been writing to lawmakers about. Would love to see them both passed this year!
FlDebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!