Thread: Potty Problem
View Single Post
Old 08-04-2009, 12:03 AM   #2
DanielleK
Yorkie Yakker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mybabyjasmine View Post
I have a 1 year and 7 month old yorkie and a 1 year and 5 month old golden retriever. The golden does not have accidents between bathroom trips outside. However we forget that our yorkie has a smaller bladder and needs to be let out more than the golden. She doesn't have many accidents but when she does, she does it right out in the open and if your watching her she lowers or turns her head away from you and when she is done she walks away like she was in trouble. Our theory is that, she is indeed potty trained but if we don't let her out when she can't hold it any longer she can't help but go. It's like a child who wets them self because they can't make it to the bathroom fast enough. So we know that we are at fault when there are accidents. How can I train her to let me know she has to go? I have heard of putting a bell on the door but if we're at someone else's house I want her to be able to let me know she has to go. How do your little ones let you know that they have to go?

Thanks in advance for any advice!!
We're not at that point in training yet, but I would think that bell training is a great way to go, or teach her to speak and then teach her to bark at the door when she needs to go out. (Teach her speak first, then before each time you go out, use the same door and have her speak, give her a treat, go out, do business, give treat, come in the house.)

That should be able to carry over into wherever you are, she can bark at the door.

However, if you are used to a schedule you use now for your golden, it seems like the nice thing to do is to develop a schedule that fits your yorkie's bladder needs, and when you are visiting someone else's home, go before you go in and let your yorkie out every hour just so there's no mistakes.
DanielleK is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!