View Single Post
Old 10-28-2005, 09:45 AM   #5
spikey
Yorkie Yakker

When I got my puppy, he was 8 weeks old with floppy ears. At that time, I don't know anything about their ears. I thought naturally their ears will go up when they grow older. Then I found this forum and learnt about taping their ears. Initially I thought it was cruel to do it and it willl be painful for them. When my puppy was 13-14 weeks, I began to worry that his ears will never stand. I started to do a lot of research on taping yorkies' ears. I found this site (I can't remember the name now) that said not all yorkies' ears will stand by itself. However, when they're young (before 6 months), you can make them stand by taping and massaging their ears. The instruction was simple and he use gauze to support the ears and at the same time use medical tape (won't rip off the hairs) to tape their ears. I followed the instruction and just taping Spikey's ears for 3 days, they're standing now.

I've put the instructions in the thread "taping puppies' ears" a few days ago. If you cannot find the thread, send me a private message and I'll give you the instruction. It is very easy and not painful at all. I know because Spikey is a cry baby, if it hurts, he will scream and cry. So far, he has let me tape his ears and never made a sound. I'll keep taping for 2 weeks. Tape 3 days, remove it, rest a day (you must massage his ears 2 or 3 times a day), and repeat the taping procedure for 2 weeks. As your yorkie is already 1 year old, it might take longer time. I think there's still hope.
spikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!