Thread: Puppies Legs
View Single Post
Old 08-03-2009, 10:33 AM   #8
bjh
Donating YT 5000 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by diane boden View Post
I couldn't say for sure but your little one may have a condition called swimmers. My Hope was a tiny little thing, progressing well but were as her larger sister was getting up and moving around her back legs weren't comming up under her. I took her to my vet and he diagnosed Swimmers. For about 2 weeks he taped her back legs together, changing regularly, they stayed in place, after this we would masage her legs and hold her in a mug- yes a mug- of water to excercise them. They were weak to start with but gradually improved, She was almost 12 when we lost her.
I looked it up on the net a few months ago and apparently it can be caused by having the whelping box too warm. According to the page I read the pups need to huddle together, climbing over each other helps the hip joints into their normal position. Made sence for Hope as the litter was born on 2nd January, we had the heating on all the time as I was worried they'd get too cold. I dont know if its the same for your baby but apparently it does come right with time. A visit to your vet should clear it up.
That is interesting. It does seem that all the occurrences I have encountered with pups having a hard time learning to walk were either single or two puppy litters. I always figured they were just over eating. I imagine it is a combination of both.

I read in the 'birth defect' article that Vitamin D deficiency during pregnancy can result in skeletal defects and abnormal dentition. Vitamin D excess has been implicated in impaired bone formation and some "swimmer" puppies.
bjh is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!