View Single Post
Old 08-02-2009, 11:27 PM   #11
mimimomo
Don't Litter Spay&Neuter
Donating Member

Animal Smiley 019 My response in blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by hk25492 View Post
Unfortunately I'm in a small town overseas and my two choices are pedigree from the grocery store or Royal Canin from the vet's office. They don't sell anything else worth mentioning. So, RC seems to be the best option out of my choices. Hopefully my dogs won't be allergic, but we'll have to try it and see.
Someone on YT is selling this food: http://www.yorkietalk.com/forums/yor...food-sale.html can you order online, have it delivered?
I'm still looking for an answer as to how many Tablespoons of RC I should give my 3 pound Yorkie?

mimimomo, You said that Princess gets 1.5 heaping TBSP of kibble twice a day. Is that kibble Royal Canin or another brand?
I feed my Yorkies Natural Balance Sweet Potato & Venison. It's an allergy formula (those that suffer from allergies) w/limited ingredients. No corn, wheat (no grains). My dogs don't suffer from allergies, but this is the only food they like, maybe it's the sweet potatoes. The only thing is, they don't make this in small bites & Coco cannot eat it, her mouth is too tiny.

I read the package instructions, but I recommends much more food than I give my dogs when they eat Solid Gold. I understand that SG has many more calories per kibble so they don't need as much, but it's a big difference between the two and I don't want their tummies to stretch and get use to a huge meal twice a day. Lower grade foods don't meet the nutritional value as higher grade foods, thus the bigger amounts. For example, Evo red meats has a high protein level, so the amount fed is tiny, also producing little tootsie rolls.

any advice is much appreciated! THANKS!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuickSilver View Post
Sorry, I guess I am not being that helpful, but I wanted to say how relieved I am to see this small amounts. I posted once that Thor ate MAYBE 1/3 cup of kibble per day, and all these people seemed shocked. Honestly, he usually eats a lot less than that, probably 2 tbps / day. That looks about in line with his weight, though. He's a 4lber who gets a lot of (healthy) treats.
After Momo got neutered (he's supposed to weigh the same as Thor), he gained so much weight, I can't feel his rib cage anymore...in fact, I can't feel any bones on his body & he's developed these rolls on his neck! Lol
My vet advised me to reduce their food by 1/3 (doesn't that seem like alot?). All 3 only get 1.5 tbsp (while Mimi gets 2tbsp), they still seem hungry after eating, but they're gaining weight. I have to cut their snacks I guess. I'm giving them Fruitables which have only 9 calories per treat. We also go walking everyday.
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!