View Single Post
Old 08-02-2009, 12:15 PM   #1
hcb134
Yorkie Talker

Animal Smiley 049 newbie from the uk

hi everyone, i've been reading this forum for the last 3 wks & thought it was time i said hello and introduced myself. my name is sharon and got my first yorkie baby 3 wks ago. She's a georgious girl now 10 wks old and a real live wire but also really affectionate. just lovely.

Reading the housetraining comments on here i'd thought i;d share my experience with her so far. From day one i took her in the garden to go potty, every hour in the day, first thing & last thing at night and after sleeping. Every time i told her to 'potty' & after a couple of times she got the message. Every time i take her out she goes without fail and i've only a few accidents in the house. But a couple of times i've caught her about to do a poo in the house, took her straight out, waited half hour for her to go & she has'nt, only to then go as soon as i've brought her back inside & turned my back! Ahh! (only happened twice in 3 wks though). When i go out and leave her for a couple of hours i do come back to a puddle on the floor but thats to be expected. She also piddles once in the night & then wakes me at 7am to go out as well (if i don't get up she will piddle on the floor), again to be expected. All in all i think she's doing well for 10 wks. Here in the uk paper or potty pad training is frowned upon as it is believed to give the message that going potty in the house is acceptable.

A few days ago i introduced the clicker, followed by a treat every time she goes to potty outside in the start to train her to go potty on comand (at the sound of the clicker). This is working well already and guess what, as others here have said, when you call her she often runs off and does'nt come to you, so today when she refused to come, i clicked the clicker and she came running! (i gave her a treat and praised her). Later the same thing happened and again the clicker worked! Clever girl! Also proves they can be trained, even at her age.

She is also slowly learning that biting and chewing on me is also not acceptable buy consistently saying 'no bite' in a sharp voice and giving her a toy to chew instead.

Don't get me wrong she is full of mishief and not at all obedient yet but i am encouraged by early signs so far.

I look forward to sharing her journey with you all and will definately need lots of help and advise along the way i am sure!
hcb134 is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!