View Single Post
Old 08-02-2009, 07:09 AM   #14
YorkieMother
YT 1000 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuickSilver View Post
Okay, let me ask you this then. If I have a treat in my hand, Thor Sits on command so fast, I swear I can hear his butt hit the ground. It really seems to me that he evaluates (1) the liklihood of receiving a treat; then (2) the quality of the treat. If #1 or #2 seem uncertain, he takes his sweet time deciding whether he's going to listen to me.

I have tried adding in other types of rewards, for instance, before leaving our building for a walk he has to Sit. In situations where I regularly tell him to Sit, like a walk, or when I am un/loading my car, he has after weeks and weeks started Sitting, I think out of habit. It's not 100% by any means.

So, what would you say is most effective here? I don't want him deciding whether or not he Sits at a crosswalk, often taking the entire span of the traffic light change to Sit! Here is something Aloff said was a weakness of positive reinforcement, and I agree: Want To versus Have To.

I do think he's listening to me, it's just if I don't have a powerful motivator, I come after he evaluates all the cars, people and dogs going by.
Now you got me thinking.

Part of it is getting them on random reinforcement fast. Do you know what that is? if not when I get back from the dog show will go over it. just do not want to cover ground you know.

I do not think it is a weakness if you get a dog on ranbom and fast so that they never know when a treat is coming or if or what, they tend to drop faster.

Also check what you are using as reward make sure it is how do I say this top drawer goods and try having them off you. SO say for one dog a pice of kibble is to die for for another sheep poop or my girl loves vanilla yougert drops. change them regulaer and also do a mixed bag so they never know what grand treat they get.

Also off you so put a stash somewhere.. I know it will not work on walks.... that you have to step away from the dog to get.

Also dogs do not genralize... so it is that sit in the kitchen does not mean sit in the car does not mean sit at that light or even the next.
You have to teach it over and over and over and over for them to get sit means sit everywhere. So go back and teach it just like when a puppy each and every time and then get it on random.

I had a thought late last night and am surprised I still remeber it.,, it was have a look at contorl unleashed and I can not remeber the trainers name. Great book.
You may just find that it works better. It for not aggressive dogs it for those that can not for the life of themselves find focus.
Also I would track down Protocl for relaxation it also helps with focus and usually can be found at K( aggression site but they may have tucked it away.

JL
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!