View Single Post
Old 08-01-2009, 07:20 PM   #13
QuickSilver
Thor's Human
Donating Member

Okay, let me ask you this then. If I have a treat in my hand, Thor Sits on command so fast, I swear I can hear his butt hit the ground. It really seems to me that he evaluates (1) the liklihood of receiving a treat; then (2) the quality of the treat. If #1 or #2 seem uncertain, he takes his sweet time deciding whether he's going to listen to me.

I have tried adding in other types of rewards, for instance, before leaving our building for a walk he has to Sit. In situations where I regularly tell him to Sit, like a walk, or when I am un/loading my car, he has after weeks and weeks started Sitting, I think out of habit. It's not 100% by any means.

So, what would you say is most effective here? I don't want him deciding whether or not he Sits at a crosswalk, often taking the entire span of the traffic light change to Sit! Here is something Aloff said was a weakness of positive reinforcement, and I agree: Want To versus Have To.

I do think he's listening to me, it's just if I don't have a powerful motivator, I come after he evaluates all the cars, people and dogs going by.
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!