View Single Post
Old 08-01-2009, 05:44 PM   #12
tjdmom
Donating YT 500 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amazing Yorkies View Post
She's young, there is always another heat cycle coming, which would give you time to find a male, and have testing done on both parents, since just being registered is not a guarantee that they are genetically healthy, and will produce healthy babies.
Personally, I would never purchase, or ever breed anything but AKC registered. Any breeder that I have met, or heard of that has switched to another registry has been suspended from AKC. But they never tell you that, they always use the excuse that AKC is too expensive. Well, that $25.00 per litter and $2.00 per puppy to register should not be too expensive when they are getting hundreds if not thousands of dollars on each pup. Just doesn't make sense, and if you dig farther.. they are usually in trouble with AKC anyway.
So if it were me, and my intention of breeding was to produce the highest quality, and healthiest babies possible.. I'd regroup, and find a responsible AKC breeder willing to mentor me and help me get started with the very best possible breeding pair. Now, if your intentions were just to have babies because you think your female is gorgeous and her puppies would be cute, then a registration is not that important.
If you thought the cost was high at the Vet Check, you ought to see what an Emergency C-Section costs, and the cost of taking "good" care of a litter of pups can be! I plan on $1000.00 per litter just to take care of Mom and the puppies. That's not for any Emergencies that may arise!
You got good advice here! I just wanted to add that my Zoe just had her first litter of pups. I've spent about $2000 just in stud fees and testing at the vet, puppies tails/dewclaws, shots etc. Zoe had an easy deliver too. I don't think a good breeder doing all this testing is going to make any money certainly not with one or two dogs. You have to do it because you love it and you'd better be prepared to spend money too - I wouldn't count on making any. You'd probably be lucky to break even at least that's been my experience so far. And believe me - raising puppies is no easy job either. No there are a lot of pluses too. They have been a joy and I love each of them so much that's it's going to be hard to give them up.
tjdmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!