View Single Post
Old 08-01-2009, 03:34 PM   #11
YorkieMother
YT 1000 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuickSilver View Post
I really enjoy training Thor. Ultimately, I think I would like to do rally with him, or get him a good citizen title.

So far I've focused mostly on tricks. He can Sit, Down, Up, Stay, Come, Roll Over, Bang!, Spin, Shake, High Five, and Speak. We are currently working on Quiet.

Now I want to focus more on his behavior generally. He is a pretty good walker, and can Stay outside in a park for about a minute. However, I've finally faced up to the fact that he doesn't know his name .

I also have a lot of trouble getting him to Sit when he knows he isn't getting a treat. I've been working on getting him to sit at street corners, and I believe the problem is that he wants to thoroughly check out the environment before he sits - so sometimes he'll look around for ten seconds, and then Sit, sometimes he'll Sit because I say it in a really stern voice several times, or he'll sit because I "walk into" him.

Anyway, I am wondering about what kind of general "pay attention to me and don't run out into the street" tricks people have focused on, and how they get their dogs to behave. Currently we are working on his name, and Watch Me. Generally, I would just like him to be more attentive to me and look to me more guidance when we walk by big dogs. Currently, his philosophy is, "When In Doubt, Bark It Out".
Ok here are my thoughts without reading anyonen else so if I repeat sorry.

We tend to over use our dogs names in normal day to day chatter.
So the dog does not know which rover he is to listen to.
So two ways to get around this stop using his name in chatter. ei "looking rover is so cute do you not think rover is cute oh rover is just to stinking cute.I think rover is the cutes dog in hte world. rover needs a treat, rover sit"
Which rover was rover to respond to and look at you and come. how is poor rover to know
Either say he or a baby name like sweetie pie or as I call one dog princes puddle butt... everyone knows which she is but when I say jem come she knows I want her.

Or use the rover in day to day speech and do what else I do with some is use a call name I only use with them so Luc come not lucy.
Yelling does not work try the oposite very soft and you may get a batter responce dog hear very well and learn to tune us out try low and slow.
On the sit wait him out....he knows and he is waiting his seoncd and third cue and only on his second or thrid cue the step into is he going to sit. SO wait grab the clicker and wait him out even if it takes 15 mintues just once and wiat so that you can get it back on one cue the word and a quick butt to ground sit.
Once that happens shape it from 15 mintues to a fast sit and down and make sure you bonce a fast sit on on request. Make sence.

He making sure those big guys stay away so give yourself more room betweem them and you and work loook at me but you know do not ask.
Just catch and click the action do not ask and you will get it faster on always look at mum rather then only when asked.
Temar Gellar is a good little dog trainer and one that got some great stuff but if you want to go up a step look into the stuff by paul owen. I am not saying Temar does anything wrong she just good basics you are ready for the next up the ladder.
JL
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!