View Single Post
Old 07-29-2009, 11:41 AM   #7
Gingergirlsmom
and Bernie's mom too!"
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmdt View Post
I know but everyone gets their feathers all ruffled up when they hear "teacup"
When someone comes on and says they have a big one everyone says, "aw a teapot" But if they come on and say they have a small one NO ONE says, "aw teacup"

Double standard???
I've thought of this myself, but I don't think so. I think, for me, the concern is, that if I start saying "aww, a teacup" I perpetuate the ideal of aiming for the smallest yorkie possible (often regardless of health). Yorkies are small dogs (under 7 lbs) by standard and to aim to have them as small as possible may not be healthy. People with larger yorkies are used to being bashed, belittled, etc., for having dogs that "aren't really yorkies", or "must be silkies", etc (believe me, I've been there), so by using an endearing term like teapot, we are including them and accepting them. But that's just how I look at it. Honestly, if it weren't some of the irresponsible breeding that goes on I wouldn't mind the term teacup at all. Really, as far as I'm concerned, live and let live.

edited to add: If there started to be a trend of people purposefully breeding for teapots, then I'd stop using that term too!

Ginger Bernie Fun Kitty
Gingergirlsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!