View Single Post
Old 07-29-2009, 07:10 AM   #8
RachelandSadie
No Longer a Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by starr728 View Post
Hi everyone I've been reading these forums and getting aquainted lately with yorkie talk and getting prepared for our new baby girl Karlee, she is 13 weeks old and we are bringing her home on Thursday. I have a few questions I wanted to ask-

Question #1 What is recommended to feed my Yorkie? I've read a lot of horror stories over some types of dog foods and want to feed my girl something healthy. i use a home made raw recipe, some people are against it, but it works wonderful with my aunt and her dog, so i'm going to try it on mine, i can give it to you if interested, it's very easy to make and everything in it is healthy and recommended by a dog nutritionist aunt Karrie's mom, it makes her breath better, and poop less often and smaller amounts, keeps her coat shiny too, we love it, but like i said it's totally up to each person's personal preference, the good thing is they only eat a teaspoon 3 times a day as a puppy, so you can make a super huge batch and put it in little cups and store in the freezer until you're ready to serve and then thaw them out. let me know if you're interested in more info. happy to help

Question #2 Also how do I prepare for the first few nights with her. I have a baby play pen and wondered would it be a good idea to put her crate, blanket, water bottle and food in the playpen and let her sleep near our bed I want to make her adjustment to our new home as easily as possible.we have an exercise pen, a crate inside there, and plenty of soft toys and blankets, i'm crating at night so she'll learn not to pee in her bed i might start her in the kitchen and if she learns not to whine, move her to our bedroom still in the crate and slowly upgrade her to her own bed and then probably ours once she's trained

Question #3 can you tell me some great toys for a puppy to start off with (I have a several already but just wondered some that are really good for a Yorkie and my main concern very safe)we have nylabones, bully sticks, and kongs with treats, anything to keep her chewing on it rather than our stuff. nylabone bully sticks and kong

Question #4 I read about bath time to use warm towels or blow dry your Yorkie and also wondered I want to keep my Yorkie with shorter hair would it be best to trim her each week before bath time?good luck with the blow drier, hope she can learn to like the sound, i would clip her only when she needs it, groomers are great for this because they can clip her, clean her ears, trim her nails, clean anal sacs, and more all in one trip, petsmart groomers are pretty cheap, but some aren't very experienced, so you might want a private shop

Any advice for me would be appreciated even if its a question I did'nt ask I just want some ideas for her first week home with us to get her adjusted. Thanks!!!

Good luck and hope that helps out!! I'm new too, and learning a lot, so this is based on what i'm learning not on actual experience, but i still think it will help....hope everything is wonderful and have fun!
RachelandSadie is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!