View Single Post
Old 07-28-2009, 05:24 PM   #14
Pettysmith
Donating Senior Yorkie Talker

Quote:
Originally Posted by PennysMum View Post
It isn't incompetence on the part of the lab; it has to do with the life cycle of the worms. At certain points in the life cycle, the parasites may not be detected since they do not continually shed their eggs, which is what the lab checks for. Even using the most advanced equipment and high-speed centrifuges, fecal tests are only about 80% accurate, which is why a lot of veterinarians request multiple stool tests several weeks apart on puppies and kittens even after they have had one test come back negative.

Excellent and correct information. Tape worms in any form but the adult worm will not show up on a fecal. Tape worms are caused by the dog eating fleas or flea eggs and can take up to 6 months to show up as adult worms. Drontal is one of the few broad spectrum wormers on the market that will kill tape worms. It is usually given in two doses, we do a month apart at my clinic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartpuppiepets View Post
I Give PANACUR or SAFEGUARD , which is the same thing ... it is very safe, can be given to pregnant females. I was once told by a vet that if given for 9 days in a roll it gets rid of Gyardia also. We de-worm moms and puppies ... puppies get Pyrantel about 2 times... moms get Pyrantel and Panacur -c when they are nursing. Our fecal exams are negative but we still do it, and it is the recommendation of our vet. He does NOT recommend the 9 days treatment unless there is a positive for gyardia, i asked him before, But he does think it is a good idea to use it once a year on all of dogs, then when the pregnant moms deliver... about 2 weeks after the delivery... and he thinks there is no harm to use it on the puppies but we usually only do the pyrantel 2 times. If we see suspicious looking stools, on either mom or puppies we go ahead and de-worm the puppies with it for 3 days ... i do not know of any harm and we have done very good with this protocol.
Panacur is great wormer and you are right about it being great for giardia. We also automatically deworm our new puppy clients with either of these two and especially if they live in a home with small children who might pick up the worm segment off the floor. However, neither will kill tapeworms. We usually question the new owners about the environment the puppies came from and if there is a concern with them being exposed to fleas then we do a dose of Dronal on first visit and another on 2nd visit. As stated above, we have never had any problems de-worming this way.

Fenbendazole (often abbreviated “FBZ”) is used in both large and small animals. In dogs, it is useful against roundworms, hookworms, and the more difficult to treat whipworms. It is effective against the Taenia species of tapeworm but not against the Common tapeworm, Dipylidium caninum. It is also effective against giardia (an intestinal protozoan which is contagious to both humans and pets) as well as several species of lungworm and even some flukes.
Pettysmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!