View Single Post
Old 07-27-2009, 09:42 AM   #2
TLC
Slave to My Rug-Rats
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mj linton View Post
My "baby" Oliver aka: Ollie, was running across the lawn yesterday and yelped and began to limp. Within minutes he was dragging his rear rt. leg. I was distraught, thinking he damaged his spine and was partially paralyzed. It was such a freak thing. We took him to the emergency vet and she says he dislocated both knees, but also said the right one will not stay in place. She gave him a anti-inflammatory shot and Rymadyl to take home. I am supposed to keep him still and he's doing pretty well at that, but I am in tears because he cannot walk. He can't even stand. He falls over. Will this pass? What should I do?? He is only 2 1/2 years old.
This is called Luxating Patella. Lots of Yorkies here have it. It is graded in 4 Grades (Grade 4 being the worst). With the meds and some rest, he may feel a little better, but it will not take away the fact he has LP. LP doesn't get better on its own, and it doesn't repair itself. If his Grade is 3 or 4, surgery is suggested to stop the luxation. Small breeds do very well. Also joint supplements are good to help, but again will not fix the luxation. A lot of us use Cosiquin by Nutramax.

Some dogs go their whole lives with low grade LP and never have an issue. Some dogs start at a low grade and progress fast to a high grade and some dogs start out at a high grade and then start to limp and/or carry the leg, or go lame. In this case, the are in pain. As the cartilage wears away from the constant luxation, bone can rub on bone and that is very painful.

I suggest getting a referral to see a Board Certified Ortho Vet, they will steer you in the right direction
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!