View Single Post
Old 07-27-2009, 07:47 AM   #3
Mardelin
Mardelin Yorkshire Terriers
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CandB View Post
We have 2 Yorkie puppies, male and female littlermates, both 14 weeks, who we have only had for a little over 3 weeks now. Both were dewormed at 8 weeks by their breeder, and then received Sentinel from our vet at 11 weeks right after we brought them home. This past weekend we noticed that our little girl had pooped out a worm (pretty sure it was a roundworm, looked like a piece of spaghetti)! In my irrational panic at seeing the worm, I chucked the whole poop in the garbage before realizing that I probably should have saved it for the vet (we then attempted to reclaim it from the garbage, but were unsuccessful). We took a stool sample to the vet on Saturday, and had several more wormy poops over the course of the weekend. The test results came in today and are negative for worm eggs, which is confusing to me. The vet told us that he won't give the pups a dewormer until he knows exactly what type of worm he is working with, and told us to bring in a worm if we find another one. Does anyone know why there would be no eggs found in the sample despite the fact that our poor little girl is pooping out adult worms?

I had the same thing happen with a new female that I brought into the house. Took samples to 2 different vets. They sent it into a lab and both came back negative. I then took in a sample with the worms and showed it to the vet, it was tape worm. My money was refunded and the correct dewormer was administered.

Tapeworm is the only worm that is unaffected by Sentinal....
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!