View Single Post
Old 07-26-2009, 10:21 AM   #13
Karrie
Donating YT Addict

We have three acres too - and Bailey is an off-leash dog. What freedom they must feel when there is no leash!!

I was real hesitant in the beginning - but hubby was insistant. He wasn't going to have a dog that had to be on a leash - and our 3 ac. is not fenced. I absolutely love, love, love it!

I believe that off-leash is a dog-by-dog (or owner-by-owner) situation. Bailey has always been subordinate to us and comes when called. We treat every time. I believe in the clicker method - although I don't use a clicker - I use a key word "yes" - which is my promise to treat. Its a promise I never, ever break. I use this method for two reasons: I always have by voice with me; I don't always have treats with me - so I can mark the good behavior and follow up with a treat as soon as they are available - where ever they may be (in the house, in the freezer, on the porch - they're everywhere!).

I was worried about the squirells and the rabbits and the birds, etc. which would cause her to run and not listen - but fortunately, she has "stopped" at every command.

Truth be told, her behavior has gotten better as she has gotten older. The first year was tough as everything was new, lots of smells and distractions. But after the first year - she's been absolutely wonderful!

Obviously, if we have chores to do and we can't give her our undivided attention, then she stays in the house.

I have to brag about Bailey. This year, the moles have been numerous. So Bailey helps us find the runs so we can set traps. Also, we have a pond in the back which attracts geese (and goose poop) - so we've trained Bailey to run 'em off. She earns her keep 'round here!!!

Good luck!! I believe in leash-free - but its not for every dog or everyone..
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!