View Single Post
Old 07-23-2009, 10:48 AM   #1
cliffick
Donating YT Addict

Default For those of you considering breeding

Well, my Maggie May had her babies! Let me tell you though, you can research til you're blue in the face. You can read every thread on this site. You can buy all the necessary whelping supplies. But you can't predict Mother Nature.
Maggie went into labor on Tuesday evening. One bubble out.....uh-oh now 2 bubbles out. Talking to Mary on the phone. She sent me straight to my vet. THANK GOD! Long story short. Emergency C-section. One puppy born with his intestines on the outside of his body. They put them back in. So far he is a survivor. Time will tell. He's made it 38 hours. Maggie has 3 beautiful boys. She's eating well. She's nursing them and taking care of them like she's done this her whole life. She's panting and hot (we are keeping the heat lamp on of course). She is in my bedroom with me, so my husband is a couch sleeper for now. The first night home I did not go to bed. I made sure each puppy nursed every two hours.
The reason for my post is this. If you are thinking about breeding. Think and think and think and then just let the professionals do it! I have been a basket case on the inside. I am staying calm for Maggie and taking care of her around the clock. She is my soul mate and I love her to death! I will be much more excited about the babies after time has passed and I know they've survived. I am just a wreck praying for them. I guess at this point I'm just a little paranoid, but wow! What an ordeal! If it wasn't for Mary on the phone, what could have happened! I don't even want to think about it!
Hopefully, this will discourage someone who thinks I just would like to try it.

Oh, and I forgot to say. I have to give the little puppy shots, every 8 hours. Me! I have to administer the shots! I am not a vet or nurse. Wow!
Think again and sing HIGH Praises for the professional breeders out there!
cliffick is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!