View Single Post
Old 07-23-2009, 09:12 AM   #9
Mom to Hot Rod
Donating YT 5000 Club Member

We just went thru it with Hot Rod and yes, the first 2 weeks or terrible. Make sure that you have an area, the best being a crate so you can keep your little one contained. It doesn't have to be a metal crate, but something small so she cannot roam around too much. My surgeon told me that I could either choose a crate or the most a 3 x 3 area. We did the crate at first.

Initially, you will be the whole world to her. You will need to make sure that you know when she needs to potty, drink water, eat and just some love. Initially I am sure that her pain meds will make her sleepy but just make sure that you give her lots of reassurance as she does not know what is going on. After a few days if she is feeling better, you can choose to hold him more. At first I was really afraid to hold Hot Rod as I didn't want to hurt him. Hubby was able to have him across his arm supporting him from underneath, my arm wasn't long enough.

In my situation I eventually let him stay on the table that folded down between my sofa with a short leash (lanyard) on that I held the entire time so I knew he couldn't escape. We crated him at night and brought him upstairs with us to sleep, I monitored him as he has not been crated for over a year. He got up a couple of nights to potty so I had to get up and let him out.

You will need to make sure that your other yorkie keeps off of him, no if's and's or but's. I know that it will be hard, we had the same thing going on. Maggie just wanted to play with her brother. I don't know how to answer your question about the other one licking the incision, but you need to make sure it stays clean. If you are not liking the idea of a plastic e-collar, I am selling soft e-collars. I made these out of Hot Rod's surgery. He was able to sleep and eat and wear it without having to take it off.
I was told it would be 6 weeks of recuperation...strict 6 weeks!!! I know it is a long time, but just keep thinking of the outcome, it will be worth it once your little one can run around without any issues.

Hot Rod's surgery was 3/31/09 and he is still picking his leg up and favors it a little. The surgeon said that he was good to go and he is just remembering pre and post surgery. I am sure that Maggie May jumping on him has a lot to do with it as well. But overall he is doing really well.

I would recommend that you write down all of your questions, leaving room for answers. As you go down your list, jot down the drs answers. Write down anything and everything he tells you. Like you said, you can't remember all what was said after a certain point, this way, you will be able to get some of your questions answered and know what is expected. Please feel free to pm me if you have any questions. I know that you can do this, the surgery is probably (for me) 85% of the anxiety. Once your baby is back in your arms, you will be a whole different person and you can focus on her recovery and giving her lots and lots of lovins. You can do this, you are stronger than you think, your baby needs you.

Here is a link to my thread after his surgery. It has graphic pictures in it so just be a little prepared if you decide to read it. http://www.yorkietalk.com/forums/yor...picture-b.html

Check out my "The Softee Collar" if you are looking at an e-collar, it is much more humane than those darn plastic cones. http://www.yorkietalk.com/forums/yor...ne-collar.html Hugs to you. What is your baby's name?
Mom to Hot Rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!