View Single Post
Old 07-22-2009, 11:45 AM   #1
LindaBedilia
Senior Yorkie Talker

Love Adopting older yorkies

Hi Everyone

I have a question about re-naming an older Yorkie (6 years old).

My sister recently adopted an older female Yorkie who was only bred 2X and then put up for adoption by the Breeder. Her name is Melissa and she is very, very sweet and also a very, very healthy Yorkie The breeder had her spayed, had dental & shots done and updated in early June. Right now, Melissa is with me and my sister will be coming on July 29th to visit me and then will be taking Melissa home with her.

My question is: Can an older dog learn and accept a new name???? My sister Pat hates the name "Melissa" and wants to change it as soon as possible. I myself don't mind the name, but it will be her dog.

I have had dogs all my life and told my sister to be careful with too many changes in the dogs life right now - as she will have to adjust to her new life style in a Condo after living in the country in a Kennel and she will also have to get used to a new owner, etc. etc.

I have been training Melissa on a leash and harness and she is very nervous every time a car goes by or we pass someone on the street - If you know anyway to make this easier on Melissa, I would appreciate any advice - especially about the name change.

LB
LindaBedilia is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!