Thread: Leash walking
View Single Post
Old 07-22-2009, 08:58 AM   #6
TeresaM
Donating YT 1000 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaraHawk View Post
I had a similar problem. Ollie would not walk at all, he refused, stubbed up and sat on the ground, and I was afraid to walk him, because when I did, I felt like I was dragging him. So, I bought a harness, and it did not help things. So, I asked the trainer at Pet Smart, (I took the puppy class) and she said put the collar back on him, walk him with a short leash close to your body. And, if he doesn't walk, drag him (just a little bit) and he will start walking because he has to, and when he does, praise him... and this worked! She said the harness takes control away from you and gives it to him. Working with the collar gives more control to you and less to him..

Maybe this will help in some way
Please be very careful using a collar this way. Yorkies have very fragile trachea's and they are easily damaged. That's why so many use only harnesses for walking. It may take a little more time and effort but you should be able to achieve the same results with a harness and with no possibility of damaging their trach's.

10 wks is very young and everything is new, interesting and fun to chew on. Try the bitter apple, and walking with another dog that knows how to walk will help to move his focus off the leash and onto moving forward to 'stay with the pack'. Be patient, he'll figure it out once he sees that walking is more fun then chewing.
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!