View Single Post
Old 07-22-2009, 07:21 AM   #1
2dogsandachick
Yorkie Yakker

Default Undiagnosed flu like symptoms

Hi all! I am hoping someone has been through this.

My little Cosmo (turned 1 in February) started with diarrhea on Tues 7/14. It took me a few days to determine who had the upset tummy due to having four dogs in the house, but finally Thursday at 5AM on the run to the back door I learned who it was for certain. We're taking messy liquid black super smelly diarrhea. On Saturday AM we went in to see the vet. His "diagnosis" was that Cosmo was getting into the cat box, and he sent us homw with Flagyl and and an anti-diarrheal (Loperamide). Cosmo is not the type to get into the cat box, and there has been no diet change.

Cosmo also had a new little red bald spot on the top of his nose, which the doc gave us Mometamax for.

Saturday evening he seemed to be feeling better, had some life back into him, and even was eatting a bit. I gave him his meds, put his ointment on his nose - which he promptly licked off. Sunday, he was lethargic, not eating a bite, drinking very little, vomitting every few hours. We gave him some Pepto, and made rosemary infused water with activated charcoal to help settle his stomach which was rumbling loudly.

On Monday morning he did not get up with the rest of us like normal. I had to crawl under the bed to get him out to give him his medicine. Mid-day Monday my mom, who was watching him, decided he needed to go back to the vet as he was not getting up at all, and she kept finding herself checking to see if he was breathing. He has spent 2 nights now at the vet on fluids. Lost over a pound between Sat and Mon (he only weighed 7 to start with). Dehydrated.

They thought pancreatitis from symptoms, but blood work came back "with a couple of things elevated but nothing to be really concerned about". They also did an x-ray and nothing there. Doc said he does not know the problem (it is obviously NOT the cat box), but that he is responding to the antibiotic and fluids and may come home today.

Has anyone ever experienced this? I am wondering if the ingestion of the Mometamax was a trigger..or the Loperamide? He also took his first ever dose of Comfortis on the Friday befor the vomitting started. This is a new vet, and he does not really seem to be looking for a cause, just curing symptoms. I am going to follow up with my regular vet and have them review the blood work, etc... but in the meantime...

I can't prevent it happening again if I can't find a cause, thought maybe someone in this community would have an idea, as my doc won't even theorize.

The house just isn't the same without him bouncing around, can't wait to get him home again.
2dogsandachick is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!