Thread: Foot Pad Hair
View Single Post
Old 07-20-2009, 09:31 PM   #18
FlDebra
Donating YT 2000 Club Member

Default Blade Number

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinknpiper View Post
I would not use a personal trimmer. I am a pet groomer and most personal trimmers use a #40 blade. Most people do not know what it means and to explain it the best way is to say it is VERY VERY sharp. Most groomers will not even use a 40 blade because of how UNSAFE it is. that is the blade that vets use to shave a dog that is getting surgery because it gets rid of the hair. I would use actual clippers that have a #10 blade as that is the safest blade to use. Especially around their little pads where their is A LOT of webbing. It is very unsafe to use a 40 blade in that area or anywhere.

Chrystal
Hmmmmm that is different from what I have read and understand. The Blade # does not refer to the sharpness. It refers to the size/closeness of cut. The lower the blade number, the longer the hair that is left from it. -- The #40 blade is 1/100" (A close cut, perfect for ears) and the #10 is 1/16” -- An All-purpose blade, used for most of the body, especially for a smooth, summer cut.

There is a lot of personal preference in what blade to use where. The YTCA recommends the #40 for ears and the #10 for feet, sanitary. Andis recommends: "Smooth faces, feet, the pads of the feet, groin and tummy areas and anal areas can usually be clipped very close with a #10, #15, or lightly with a #30 or #40 blade to clean them of hair. " Lots of leeway there.
Geib recommends the #40 for most of the trimming I do: "Brand: Ed Geib ButtercutSize: #40Length: 1/100" (.25 mm)Perfect for:Show Grooming feet, face and base of tail on Poodles.Show grooming face, ear leathers and tail on Bedlington Terriers.Ear tips of Westies, Cairns and YorkiesEars and muzzles of sporting breeds Clipping pads of feet on all coated breeds."

For sharpness....well I guess it depends on the quality of the blade and how long since it was last sharpened or how badly matted the dog last clipped might have been.....

BTW the Wahl Peanut from what I could see uses a #30 blade. At least that is what is sold as a replacement blade for it.

Last edited by FlDebra; 07-20-2009 at 09:35 PM.
FlDebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!