View Single Post
Old 07-20-2009, 09:13 PM   #8
capt_noonie
www.yorkierescue.com
Donating Member

Wow 3 acres, that sounds awesome, lots of room to run around. I've always wondered what Uni would do if she had a big field to play in.

Anyway, Uni always walks better off leash. I usually do this in my own neighborhood, and not if we are going to a store or something, but during our walks she is more attentive to me when she is off. Also at work, after I finish lunch or dinner, I will ask her "Do you want to take out the trash?" and she will get all excited and we will walk to the trash can and back to the shop, and she gets a treat when we get back. If we happen to walk past a person and she stops to greet them, or she walks off the sidewalk, she doesn't get a treat when we get back, and she gets a 1 min time out on her bed.

So I guess what I'm trying to say is when you are off leash make sure Jackson sees a treat in your hand, so he will watch you all the time. Hold the treat up near chin level so he can see your face as he is staring at the treat. (Also this is how you teach "watch me" if he doesn't already know that.)

Slowly increase the distance that you walk off leash. My bf even walked her over to the Subway at the other end of the plaza this way and she did great.
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!