View Single Post
Old 07-20-2009, 07:35 PM   #6
kalina82
Phantom Queen Morrigan
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erin View Post
I would not let either of my two off leash somewhere that is not fenced in. I don't trust them. Loki would run to bark at another dog, Sammy would go after a bird, squirrel or kid (to lick!) I can't control them when they get into their little crazes, I think it's a terrier thing. I'm not against off-leash dogs - my next door neighbor's labs are always off leash and they are wonderful dogs. Mine come when called, mostly, and we've done obedience and they do listen in the house but one distraction and BOOM they are gone. Luckily only to the end of a flexi.

Terriers are just not as easy to control off leash as labs and other dogs. Squirrels are 100 times more interesting than even a freshly cooked steak to Sam.
i agree. sometimes that terrier attitude is just too much for them to handle.

My yard is not fenced in, however i let morgan outside in the backyard without a leash while i stand in the doorway and watch her. she stays in the yard, does her thing, and then runs back inside. However i need to keep a close eye on her because if she sees another animal or a person she will go running after it. If my neighbor comes out into their backyard morgan will go running over to her and completely ignore me. its like her hearing has suddenly switched off and she can't focus on anything except her target.

I'd be very careful on a farm especially since you said he's already interested in the horses. There have been threads on here about yorkies getting hurt by horses.
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!