View Single Post
Old 07-20-2009, 05:31 AM   #12
bdb5853
Senior Yorkie Talker

Quote:
Originally Posted by roxies_mom View Post
I know absolutely nothing about feeding like this. I am interested though. I think the idea makes me squeemish but I'm willing to set that aside and at least educate myself on it. I have a couple of questions, and maybe I should post them elsewhere. 1. Can you mix or alternate feeding raw and dry kibble or should you just do one or the other. 2. You can just give them a raw chicken wing and let them eat it? Is it just wings or what other parts can u give them? 3. Does it make their poo stink? 4. If they eat that and get it in their hair and you kiss them not knowing it's there can u get sick?
Do you just give the dog the meatball raw?
Sorry for sounding so dumb but on this topic I admit that I am completely uneducated.
Ok, I'm definitely not an expert as I am a newbie to this type of feeding too!! But there's a TON of information available on prey model diet.

1. The general concensus is not to feed raw and kibble together. Space them out. Like if you want to do just 50% raw, then feed kibble in the morning and raw for the evening meal.

2. You want to feed raw meaty bones. The key is raw. Never cooked. Start with a chicken wing tip and progress from there. Chicken wings, backs, and necks are good sources of RMB's. You can also feed raw chicken (and other meats) in chunks. The key is to strive for a 80/10/10 mix which is 80% muscle meats, 10% bone, and 10% organs (liver, kidney, etc.)

3. NO! Their poo is not stinky at all. You may notice some loose stools at the beginning of a change to this diet, which is expected. But once they are acclimated to a raw diet their poo is small and nearly odorless. It disintegrates quickly.

4. I haven't heard of people getting sick from their raw fed dogs. Just be careful in cleaning up before and after they eat. Just like you would if you were preparing food for your family to eat. Some people wipe their dogs faces after they eat.

5. Yes, these meatballs are made to be eaten raw. Just thaw and feed. Similar to the Natures Variety medallions.

I hope other raw feeders chime in here! As I don't feel "qualified" to answer a lot of questions since I'm just starting off myself! But set aside some time and do some research. There's so much information out there on feeding our dogs in a healthier way!!
bdb5853 is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!