View Single Post
Old 07-19-2009, 07:07 AM   #5
Abby08
Senior Yorkie Talker

Default Brewer's Yeast and Garlic

Roxies_mom, Like today, back in the '70s there was a big "back to nature, organic" movement to use natural products even for pets. Many of those receipes with brewers yeast and garlic were made for pets back then.

Products like brewers yeast were sold nearly everywhere for flea prevention that would not harm your pets supposedly. All kinds of herbal flea preventatives were touted for the pet owners. Some herbs often touted as natural flea preventative or killer, are actually poisonous to eat them,(wormwood,pennyroyal) and if a pet were to injest some of their bedding or home made flea collars, well they didn't mention that. Little kids might injest some of those things too.

Not much research went into how those might affect our pets probably back then, except what they could see directly in the "here and now".

Now more scientific investigation seems to have gone into this kind of thing, but information is slow in getting to the public and all those pet cookbooks have had thier receipies copied, over and over again even in newer pet cookbooks,online and word of mouth.

Pets probably don't die directly from eating or "wearing" those products. Otherwise folks would have stoped using them soon after and word would have gotten out quickly about how dangerous or posionous they were to pets !

Much of the recent info on human food that is bad for pets, well it is just that!!! Recent and slowly getting out to the public.

So.... WE have to weed out the old info from the new info and help inform our friends and relatives too! We have to keep ourseves updated with new info that is "correct". How to find the "correct" info well, that I don't know.

I know that Garlic is related to Onions, and it is known for its blood thinning properties in humans. Never seemed to keep away fleas nor mosquitos for that matter. Vampires, I've not had a problem with either before I started using garlic nor after

I don't know much about brewers yeast, but it never worked for my pets as a flea preventative either nor did I see anything else it was supposed to do for them.

Not sure why the manufactuer's of brewer's yeast products for pets are still being sold for those reasons. Perhaps they are slow to get info to?
Abby08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!