View Single Post
Old 07-18-2009, 06:22 AM   #9
Wylie's Mom
Furbutts = LOVE
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwerten View Post
white potatoes inflame the intestines so dogs with ibd should not eat white potato based diets. my ibd dog cannot tolerate wite potato and even my maltese who is totally healthy throws up white potato.
Interesting. I wonder if it's more of an allergy to something for your baby? The reason I say that is...I don't know if you recall what Marcel went through after 2 bouts of giardia when he was 4-5mths old. Anyway, in pups (not really adults) - giardia can begin to digest the intestinal tissue and they end up w/ horrible issues following the resolution of the giardia. Basically, they're Dx w/ ibd/ibs, which Marcel was. For 4-5 mths after, my vet could do nothing to fix his ibd/ibs - he had bloody, mucousy, grainy, jelly, mushy poos the whole time. Finally, I sought the help of a canine nutritionist (Susan Davis) and she immed. put him on a white fish, potato, green bean diet - and *boom* - 1.5 days later he had his first firm poo in 4 mths ! Wylie was also on this diet during this time.

And Susan Davis recommends potatoes for most of her ibd dogs...so I wonder how the potatoes inflame the intestine? Did anyone ever tell you in more detail bc I'd be curious to know.

°¨¨¨°ºOº°¨¨¨° Ann | Pfeiffer | Marcel Verdel Purcell | Wylie | Artie °¨¨¨°ºOº°¨¨¨°
Wylie's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!