View Single Post
Old 07-18-2009, 05:54 AM   #8
dwerten
BANNED!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wylie's Mom View Post
When a dog is sick, I'd give white rice for sure. Dogs don't have the easiest time, even when healthy, digesting complex carbs - so more simple carbs will be easier on their entire digestive system when sick.

The method in which dogs digest carbs is also why you see "potatoes", for example, in lots of premium foods instead more complex-chain carbs.

Nothing wrong w/ brown rice, but if a dog can't digest it well - the potential benefit of it may not even be realized...and in fact might go undigested.
white potatoes inflame the intestines so dogs with ibd should not eat white potato based diets. my ibd dog cannot tolerate wite potato and even my maltese who is totally healthy throws up white potato. I know this as i use to pill my dd with steamed white potato so would give a piece to my other two and both would throw it up right after. My dd throws up after sweet potato and now since metacam my dd throws up white potato so have to pill her with yams now. Well my ibd dex was so sick thursday night from a tiny yam piece so he will get nothing as thought he was going into pancreatitis again and freaked me out. he vomitted like 15 times that night and i was a nervous wreck but due to know prayer position, tossing and turning i knew it was not pancreatitis yet so withheld food and water and slowly gave water so he did not dehydrate but also did not want him gulping water as he was throwing up the water. I never knew yams were that hard to digest but an hour after he had that tiny piece the vomitting began and did not stop until after 5 am next morning and started at 10 pm the night before
dwerten is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!