View Single Post
Old 07-17-2009, 05:52 PM   #1
bdb5853
Senior Yorkie Talker

Default Recipe - raw meatballs .....

I took the plunge. Decided to make my own raw food. I have a VERY picky eater. I'm hoping this might be the answer?!

I have had Brody on Nature's Variety raw chicken medallions for over a month now and he's doing OK on them. He's not thrilled with them, but he's not thrilled with ANYTHING having to do with food. I have been researching a raw diet and specifically looking for a balanced recipe, similar to the NV medallions that would be easy to feed.

I did try a raw chicken wing with him several times and he wouldn't eat it. He buried it in his bed. He would eat little pieces of raw chicken if it was cut up.

After much research, I decided I wasn't enough of a scientist to create a total balanced meal for him that I could feed exclusively. But I wanted something that I could give him as a meal once a day that incorporated raw foods. I created this recipe based on the 80% muscle meat, 10% organ, 10% bone model. If bone is included, the calcium/phosphorus ratio is not as critical. I didn't want any grains as that would defeat the purpose, but did want to add a carb and fiber source so I used baby carrots and canned pumpkin to help hold it all together.

The recipe:

10 chicken wings
1 pound ground sirloin beef
2 large gizzards, 2 large hearts, one piece of liver
1/2 can of pumpkin
1 can of baby carrots in water

Put the wings through the grinder, including skin and bones. Add in the organ meats, ground meats, and the pumpkin and mix. Grind the carrots and add them. Mix well and completely. I picked out any larger particles of bone or tissue. The grinder made everything about hamburger consistency.

Then I made one ounce meatballs. This recipe made about 90 meatballs. I froze them and then put them in ziplocks. Will take out a few at a time and he will get them for dinner in place of the NV medallions. He will still get a commercial food for breakfast... either Orijen or Wysong Archetype.

Here's a pic....

So what do you raw feeders think????? Very interested in opinons!! Thanks!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1010720.JPG (183.2 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg P1010721.JPG (179.7 KB, 9 views)
bdb5853 is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!