View Single Post
Old 07-17-2009, 04:52 PM   #3
pennyspal
YorkieTalk Newbie!

Default Great start...

Great start by coming here. Read as much as you can. The most important thing is to be patient. These little yorkies are very sensitive yet very tough. You definitely have to be alpha but make sure not to scare them when they are puppies (or anytime for that matter) because you can do a lot of psychological damage. One thing I have noticed that has caused problems is that people think my dog is so cute, they pick her up when they see her. That is not good. She is very nervous when she greets people. Are they going to pick her up or not? They say that you should ask people to pet her but not pick her up. It is very scary for a tiny dog to be picked up by strangers. Definitely take her to a lot of different places to meet a lot of different people while she is very young. Be patient and consistent with potty training. Penny goes outside for potty but it took almost a year for her to not potty inside. This is because their bladder is so small and not fully developed. They have to go out often. We took her out every hour during the day and rewarded her every time she peed. We also used a playpen for times when we could not watch her 100%. She was fine at night...would sleep in her crate. It is definitely a good thing to crate train your new puppy. You will be so happy you did. Don't give in!! Read as many books as you can regarding YORKIE puppy training before you get the puppy and read as much advise on this forum as you can. You will be rewarded with a good dog in the end. Expect to feel overwhelmed and frustrated at times. But it will pass. Come here to chat or call a trainer...but don't give up or get upset with the puppy. It is a lot of work....but I am so happy with Penny. She is one of the smartest dogs I have ever owned. Good luck and hope this helps.
pennyspal is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!