View Single Post
Old 07-16-2009, 01:08 PM   #1
aquinn
Donating Yorkie Yakker

Thumbs up DIY tooth scaling-we did it!!

So everyone, I finally broke down and ordered a do it yourself dog tooth scaler, and might I say, I'm glad I did.

I just received it in the mail today and already cleaned off three of Tucker's teeth. Tucker has always been very good about me putting my fingers in his mouth, and can hold very still when I ask him to. I did the front long teeth (the vampire looking ones) on the top first, took a little break, told him what a good boy he was, gave him a little treat, and then tried one that was heavily caked with yellowish/brown stuff in the back, and got that one half way done before having to return back to work.

I have to say, I was a bit scared about cutting him or something like that, but if you read the instructions, stay calm, and have the trust of your yorkie it's not that bad. Really easy, and Tucker's still alive and happy after our first "session."

I bought the tool here: Professional Double End Dog Dental Tooth Scaler - eBay (item 380118876586 end time Jul-19-09 09:09:51 PDT)

The tool was only $8.99 with free shipping. WAY less than a dental at the vet, but more importantly it works without anesthesia. Personally, I felt the risk of slipping with the tool and causing a tiny bit of bleeding (which doesn't look like even it will occur) was far better than the risk of him dying on the table when I'm not even there.

I would caution that this is probably something I would recommend only for those who have furrbabies who are EXTREMELY tolerant of you playing with their mouth. To see, maybe try telling your yorkie to hold still (in whatever words you use--same thing you do when trimming nails, cleaning off eye boogeys, etc) and holding just a pair of tweezers on a back tooth for like 10 seconds without moving, with the lip held out of the way so you can see, and see if they try to wiggle out or if they stay. I can hold tuckers lip aside and put anything on his teeth and he'll stay still, so this works for us.
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!