Thread: Child Care Woes
View Single Post
Old 07-15-2009, 05:19 AM   #13
RemydeHaviland
Donating YT 500 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lillymae View Post
Sad to say but Day care and your dogs don't mix. I have been doing Day care for 16 years and have 3 of my own dogs plus a couple of fosters. You need to keep them separated during business hours. For the safety of the kids and for the safety of your dogs. Kids don't always understand to be careful around the smaller dogs and it's just a matter of time before your dog gets hurt. All it takes is for one of the kids to fall on your dog to kill it. One of my daycare kids fell on my pom mix about 4 yrs ago and broke his leg, he's a 14 pounder thank GOD it wasn't my tiny dog or she'd have been killed. I used to work for a vet and and I'll tell you it's hard to take when you see the damage a child can do to a little dog on accident. Also wait till you have to see a parents face when you tell them their child was bitten by your dog, it's not pretty either. And you can't blame them. I don't know if you are a licenced provider or not , but you should have baby gates in the kitchen entrance, the kitchen should be off limits to the kids except at meal times and craft time. When they enter the kitchen pick the dog up till the kids are seated. My dogs stay in the kitchen when the kids are in my house and it works fine. I'm in and out of the kitchen all day getting snacks and drinks and prepping bottles, so my dogs still get a lot of attention during the day. You just have to figure out what will work, it can be done.
Terrific post. The only point I would add is a childcare business has significant inherent liability issues for your Mother. When you add the dogs to the mix, her liability exposures increase dramatically. As stated above day care and dogs do not mix

RemydeHaviland is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!